Mount Stuart's gardens date back to circa 1717 when the 2nd Earl of Bute started to lay out substantial grounds - the beginning of the three hundred acres of wilderness, woodland and designed landscape that can be enjoyed today.
The 19th century saw the development of the 5 acre Wee Garden and - in 1896 - the celebrated English landscape gardener Thomas Mawson designed a remarkable walk replicating the Via Dolorosa. He also designed the exquisite Rock Garden to the front of the house.
The 20th century witnessed further developments, including the replanting of the Rock Garden and the remodelling of the Victorian Kitchen Garden.
A wide variety of plants, seeds and gardening tools and accessories are on sale from our garden centre. Seasonal fruit and vegetables are also available to purchase. Visitor centre, restaurant and café are open seasonally. Nearby self-catering holiday lodges are available all year round.
“Mount Stuart's gardens consist of 300 acres of wilderness, woodland and designed landscape, offering spectacular scenery and tranquil walks.”